The Whole Counsel of Scripture
S: Proverbs 17:8 A bribe is like a lucky charm; whoever gives one will prosper! Proverbs 18:16: Giving a gift can open doors; it gives access to important people!
O: These are found in a bunch of good advice that Solomon had collected.
A: Look! The Bible is advocating bribery! But wait – there are lots of other passages speaking against bribery:
- Exodus 23:8 Take no bribes, for a bribe makes you ignore something that you clearly see. A bribe makes even a righteous person twist the truth.”
- Deuteronomy 16:19b Don't take money from people who want special favours. It makes those who are wise close their eyes to the truth. It twists the words of those who do what is right.
- Deuteronomy 27:25a May anyone who accepts money to kill someone who isn't guilty of doing anything wrong be under the Lord's curse.
- 1 Samuel 8:3b They accepted money from people who wanted special favors. They made things that were wrong appear to be right.
- 2 Chronicles 19:7 Now therefore, let the fear of the LORD be upon you; take care and do it, for there is no iniquity with the LORD our God, no partiality, nor taking of bribes.”
- Psalm 15:5 He who does not put out his money at usury, nor does he take a bribe against the innocent. He who does these things shall never be moved.
P: Father, help us persevere in studying your Word. Strengthen us when we grow weary, and renew our strength as eagles as we wait on You.