Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Passing on the Faith

25/6/11 Joel 1-3; 2 Timothy 1

S: 2 Timothy 1:5,8 when I call to remembrance the genuine faith that is in you, which dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am persuaded is in you also. … Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me His prisoner, but share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God,

O: Timothy was one of the first third-generation Christians. His godly heritage was passed on to him, following the Old Testament injunctions to always teach what God had done earlier to the children. He certainly was not ashamed of the Gospel!

A: We middle-classed Chinese Malaysian Christians have so many aspirations for our children. We pray that they'll be healthy, we pray that they'll study well, we pray that they'll get good jobs, etc.

But if our children grow up to be healthy, wealthy and wise, but do not know the Lord, we have failed as Christian parents.

In an earlier meditation, I shared 'sometimes we’re too “middle classed Chinese Malaysian” and not Christian enough. At a recent Chinese New Year gathering of Christians, during the Yee Sang they were doing the traditional blessing for the children, that they may do well in school and get good jobs, etc. when I chipped in, “And that they may be sold out for Jesus and become missionaries to Africa, etc.!” and people looked at me amazed.'

The same lesson applies here – may my children grow up to be unashamed of the Gospel!

P: Father, I lift up Joni and Hannah to You – I commit them to Your work even as the Hannah in the Bible after whom my Hannah is named committed Samuel to You. May they grow up to be dynamic women of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment