Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Gibeonites

12/5/11

No real SOAP today -- I'm not sure how to apply this, but today's reading included 2 Samuel 21:1-14, and the part of about how God seemed to be satisfied with the killing of the 7 sons of Saul always bothered me. How could justice be served by executing 7 innocent men for the crime of their father?

Then I came across this meditation by Susan McGeown. She says:
Why did David let the Gibeonites execute Saul’s descendants? The famine was clearly a divine punishment (Deut 28:47-48) and Saul’s family was responsible. The reparation demanded was legal (Num 35:31). Yet the OT prohibits punishment of a son for his father’s sins (Deut 24:16, Ezek 18:1-4, 14-17). Perhaps the answer is found in the reference to Saul’s “blood-stained house” (2 Samuel 21:1). The seven adult male descendants of Saul may very well have had a part in the war against the Gibeonites.
By the way, while googling on this topic, I found this meditation on this chapter by Bob Deffinbaugh which is pretty good reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment