Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

The other side of Romans 14

13/3/11                         Deuteronomy 22-24; Galatians 4             
S: Galatians 4:10-11 You are trying to earn favour with God by observing certain days or months or seasons or years. I fear for you. Perhaps all my hard work with you was for nothing.
O: The Galatians were being influenced by the Judiazers who wanted them to follow the entire Mosaic Law, including the importance of certain special days according to the Jewish lunar calendar.
A: Romans 14 is a very important passage that taught us that we must not be too dogmatic and be willing to accept brothers and sisters in Christ who hold to different secondary doctrines.
One of those was that some Christians felt that the special days of the Mosaic Law was of relevance to us as New Testament Christians, while other Christians regards all days as the same (Romans 14:5)
So Romans 14 teaches us not to condemn other believers, but each is to act according to his faith conscience.
However, Galatians 4:10-11 points out that sometimes it is appropriate to point out what the correct doctrine is.
Secondary doctrines are indeed secondary. We must not let this cause us to break fellowship with other believers. But there are rights and wrongs, and when we have the opportunity to help other believers come to a correct understanding without causing other problems, we can still do so.
This is why, for example, I don’t usually make a big deal about the Real Presence of the Body and Blood of Christ in the Bread and Wine, because to make a big deal of it would cause more schism among brothers and sisters who don’t agree. Similarly, I would not try to shove my understanding about idols down other believers’ throats who don’t agree. But when there is an opportunity to in a friendly non-threatening manner that would not break fellowship try to influence others, I do so.
P: Father, help me to discern and be sensitive when trying to teach things on the other side of Romans 14. May I never become haughty and unloving, causing schisms instead of better understanding. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment