Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

When you’re weary

15/3/11 Deuteronomy 28-29; Galatians 6

S: Galatians 6:7-10 Don’t be misled—you cannot mock the justice of God. You will always harvest what you plant. Those who live only to satisfy their own sinful nature will harvest decay and death from that sinful nature. But those who live to please the Spirit will harvest everlasting life from the Spirit. So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone—especially to those in the family of faith.

O: “We reap what we sow” is such a well-known principle that it has entered the English language as an idiom.

But we often don’t take it into account in deciding what to do.

A: Sometimes we do get weary of doing good, especially when we seem to see the wicked prosper. There are psalms that bemoan this.

But ultimately, we will reap God’s eternal harvest – whether in this life or in the next.

That old Simon & Garfunkle song can be re-interpreted as if Jesus is singing it to us:

When you're weary
Feeling small
When tears are in your eyes
I will dry them all

I'm on your side
When times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down

When you're down and out
When you're on the street
When evening falls so hard

I will comfort you
I'll take your part

When darkness comes
And pain is all around

Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down

P: Father, keep me from growing weary of doing good, especially when I am feeling the struggle. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment