Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Balancing honouring your parents

13/2/11 Leviticus 20-22; Acts 20

S: Leviticus 20:9 Anyone who dishonours father or mother must be put to death. Such a person is guilty of a capital offense.

O: We are still in the Mosaic legislation for the nation of Israel, where the laws may not apply to us anymore, but there may be general principles that still apply due to New Testament affirmation.

A: I struggle with this because there are many times when there is a conflict between my responsibilities as a husband and as a Christian and my parents’ desires.

The Bible also teaches that we are to leave our father and mother and cleave to our spouse and the two shall become one.

As for when your parents tell you to do something unbiblical, there is a clear principle, but determining the specifics for a particular situation can be tricky.

P: Father, give me wisdom when my parents’ desires conflict with my wife’s and my understanding of what God wants. Help me to see what you want me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment