Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Greatest Commandments

5/3/11 Deuteronomy 1-2; Mark 12

S: Mark 12:30-31 And you must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.’ The second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ No other commandment is greater than these.”

O: Several times in several different occasions, Jesus or someone Jesus talks to points out that these are the two greatest commandments – in them is the sum of all the commandments, for the others are merely outworkings of these two in various circumstances.

A: It’s easy to say, but it’s hard to do. We are naturally selfish, and it is a spiritual discipline to put others and God first.

I find that when I have time to consider and think, I often will make the right decision and act in accordance to these two commandments. But when I make spur-of-the-moment decisions, I often act selfishly according to my selfish human nature.

I’m still in the process of what the Greek Orthodox Christians call “theosis” – what Evangelical Christians usually call “sanctification”.

P: Father, I know so many times my first reaction is to act selfishly. Transform me by the renewing of my mind so that more and more, my first reaction would be godly instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment