Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Wednesday, February 26, 2020

We're all fallen and need God's grace

Genesis 37

They said to one another, “Behold, this dreamer comes. Come now therefore, and let’s kill him, and cast him into one of the pits, and we will say, ‘An evil animal has devoured him.’ We will see what will become of his dreams.”
Reuben heard it, and delivered him out of their hand, and said, “Let’s not take his life.” Reuben said to them, “Shed no blood. Throw him into this pit that is in the wilderness, but lay no hand on him”—that he might deliver him out of their hand, to restore him to his father.
...
Judah said to his brothers, “What profit is it if we kill our brother and conceal his blood? Come, and let’s sell him to the Ishmaelites, and not let our hand be on him; for he is our brother, our flesh.” His brothers listened to him.

Genesis 37:19‭-‬22‭, ‬26‭-‬27 WEB

Reuben tried to save Joseph but Judah thwarted his plan. Nonetheless, Reuben's plan did save Joseph's life.

Yet at the end of Jacob’s life, he cursed Reuben “you shall not excel; because you went up to your father’s bed, then defiled it. He went up to my couch.” (Genesis 49:4) while he blessed Judah, “Judah, your brothers will praise you. Your hand will be on the neck of your enemies. Your father’s sons will bow down before you.” (Genesis 49:8)

Reuben had dishonoured his father by having sex with his concubine, (and there's no evidence that he repented of it) while Judah repented of his sin against Tamar (Genesis 38:26) and Joseph (Genesis 44:33).

In the movies and stories there's often an obvious villain and an obvious hero, but real life is much messier than that, and it's not so clear cut.

After all, “There is no one righteous; no, not one.” (Romans 3:10) and “for all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23 )

We all think we're good, we're right, but actually, “Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but Yahweh weighs the hearts.” (Proverbs 21:2)

Search me, God, and know my heart. Try me, and know my thoughts.  See if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way. (Psalms 139:23‭-‬24) In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment