Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Sunday, February 23, 2020

No other gods

Genesis 35

Then Jacob said to his household, and to all who were with him, “Put away the foreign gods that are among you, purify yourselves, change your garments. Let us arise, and go up to Bethel. I will make there an altar to God, who answered me in the day of my distress, and was with me on the way which I went.”  They gave to Jacob all the foreign gods which were in their hands, and the rings which were in their ears; and Jacob hid them under the oak which was by Shechem. They traveled, and a terror of God was on the cities that were around them, and they didn’t pursue the sons of Jacob.
Genesis 35:2‭-‬5

All these years of supposedly following YHWH, they still had teraphim and other idols with them.

Finally they are putting YHWH first and getting rid of them. Finally they are worshipping YHWH alone.

We as Christians are  unlikely to worship physical idols like teraphim, but we are still succeptible to putting other things first before YHWH, things like success and money and power.

My own selfishness is a danger as I too often seek to do what I perceive as being to my advantage instead of seeking to do what God wants.

As the old song goes:

I will have no other gods before You
Only You will reign as my heart's King
I will have no other gods before You
I will put You first in everything

With all my heart
With all my soul
With all my might
I want to love You, Jesus



Father, may I put You first in my life and run away from the temptation to put anything else before You. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment