Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Marry in faith

Genesis 24
I will make you swear by Yahweh, the God of heaven and the God of the earth, that you shall not take a wife for my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I live. But you shall go to my country, and to my relatives, and take a wife for my son Isaac.”

...

Then Laban and Bethuel answered, “The thing proceeds from Yahweh. We can’t speak to you bad or good. Behold, Rebekah is before you. Take her, and go, and let her be your master’s son’s wife, as Yahweh has spoken.”

Genesis 24:3‭-‬4‭, ‬50‭-‬51

Why did Abraham tell Eliezer to go back to Haran to find Isaac a wife?

I think it may be because he wanted him to marry a woman who worshipped YHWH. Laban and Bethuel knew of YHWH, since they referred to Him by name. As we saw earlier, Abraham referred to God by that name. So probably Rebecca also knew YHWH.

That they worshipped YHWH doesn't mean they didn't have other theological errors. As we will see in the future, Laban actually had teraphim - household idols - in his house. So he had mixed worship of YHWH with idol worship.

But it does seem that they at least had some measure of worship of YHWH.

Throughout the Bible there is a theme that people of YHWH should marry people of YHWH and not people who do not worship YHWH.

When Solomon violated that rule, his wives eventually led him astray into idol worship. That doesn't mean every person who marries an unbeliever will end up that way, but the danger is greater.

When I was still single, there were some young women who were not believers who were interested in me during times when there seemed to be no Christian women interested in me. The temptation was great to indulge in those relationships, especially with one who would keep taking opportunities to cuddle up to me.

I had to consciously say to myself, "I will step back and keep them at arms' length as friends."

No comments:

Post a Comment