Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Thursday, February 27, 2020

Double standards

Genesis 38

Judah and the other men in the society around him held a horrible set of double-standards. They were so open about soliciting prostitution that Judah could ask his friend Hirah of Adullam to go pay the assumed prostitute the young goat on his behalf, who could openly ask the men of Enaim “Where is the prostitute who was at Enaim by the road?”

But they did have a sense of shame about it, because when Hirah couldn’t find the assumed prostitute, Judah said, “Let herkeep it, lest we be shamed.”

And yet, when Judah discovers that his daughter-in-law Tamar had been involved in prostitution, he called for her execution! What a double-standard.

Fortunately, in the end, Judah admitted his sin and publicly repented in the end.

As Christians, we should be in the forefront of protecting the rights of everyone, and not holding on to double-standards, whether in sexism, racism, or other forms of prejudice.

What double-standards might I be harbouring myself? Father, show me when I am wrong, and may I repent and not try to hide my sin. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment