Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Jacob's blunder

Genesis 27

I feel like Jacob did not really know YHWH at this point. For example, he said "Because Yahweh your God gave me success." And his actions of deception are not godly.

I think he knew of YHWH, but didn't really know YHWH yet. YHWH had to used the trials and tribulations of the coming years to get him to know Him personally and to follow Him.

And, in fact, the law of sowing and reaping ("what you sow, you shall reap") brought about that Jacob didn't get the physical inheritance that he coveted. He didn't even get the single portion promised to the younger son, let alone the double portion of the elder son! He fled to Laban, and never got to see his parents again before they died, and Esau inherited all the physical wealth of Isaac.

And he never got to be "lord over" his brother, like the blessing of Isaac that he stole from Esau said. Esau never bowed down to him, and instead he bowed down to Esau many times when he finally came back from fleeing Laban.

And Esau's secondary blessing "you will serve your brother" but actually Esau never served Jacob. They lived separately, even after the reconciliation.

You might say that those blessings and curses were referring to their descendants, the Israelites and the Edomites, but nonetheless, Jacob and Esau never personally in their lifetime saw it.

So Jacob lost all he coveted for. His blessings only came when he surrendered to YHWH later, and YHWH blessed him separately from Isaac's wealth, which all went to Esau.

When we covet, lie and cheat, we are not following God's way. God will not bless such sin.

But when we surrender to YHWH, He will bless us, separately from any connivance.

Father, when I am tempted to be dishonest for my own gain, remind me of this truth. I must follow You, and trust You that You love me and has the best for me according to Your goodness and mercy.

In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment