Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Thursday, February 13, 2020

Meditations on Matthew 11

Matthew 11
From the days of John the Baptizer until now, the Kingdom of Heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force.

Matthew 11:12

I was puzzled about the meaning of this passage so I looked up several commentaries, and all the ones I looked up said the same thing:

This is a figure of speech for how enthusiastic people were for the preaching that they crowded and thronged about like an army besieging a city.

“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the marketplaces, who call to their companions and say, ‘We played the flute for you, and you didn’t dance. We mourned for you, and you didn’t lament.’ For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’ The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Behold, a gluttonous man and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ But wisdom is justified by her children.”

Matthew 11:16‭-‬19

As much as it depends on us, we are to live at peace with everyone. (Romans 12:18) But sometimes it doesn't depend on us, and sometimes people will find fault no matter what we do. So we are to follow Jesus even if people disapprove of our actions. We're not to deliberately cause trouble, we're to be wise as serpents and innocent as doves (Matthew 10:16) but sometimes it's unavoidable.

“Come to me, all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Matthew 11:28‭-‬30

Father, as we go through the difficulties of life, thank You for your comfort and rest. In Jesus' name, amen

No comments:

Post a Comment