Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Monday, February 10, 2020

Make me an instrument of Your peace

Matthew 10
Jesus sent these twelve out and commanded them, saying, “Don’t go among the Gentiles, and don’t enter into any city of the Samaritans. Rather, go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. As you go, preach, saying, ‘The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand!’ Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, and cast out demons. Freely you received, so freely give. Don’t take any gold, silver, or brass in your money belts. Take no bag for your journey, neither two coats, nor sandals, nor staff: for the laborer is worthy of his food. Into whatever city or village you enter, find out who in it is worthy, and stay there until you go on. As you enter into the household, greet it. If the household is worthy, let your peace come on it, but if it isn’t worthy, let your peace return to you. 14 Whoever doesn’t receive you or hear your words, as you go out of that house or that city, shake the dust off your feet. Most certainly I tell you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city.

Matthew 10:5-15

In the context of Jesus sending the apostles to the lost sheep of Israel, they were told not not to take any extra supplies and to rely on the famous middle-eastern hospitality, while they heal the sick and cast out demons.

And he tells them to greet them, "Shalom aleichem" i.e. "Salam alaikum".

We are to show God's peace to everyone - it is up to them whether they receive it or not. If they reject it, it is to their detriment, but nonetheless, God calls us to show His peace.

“Behold, I send you out as sheep among wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves. But beware of men, for they will deliver you up to councils, and in their synagogues they will scourge you. Yes, and you will be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony to them and to the nations. But when they deliver you up, don’t be anxious how or what you will say, for it will be given you in that hour what you will say. For it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.

“Brother will deliver up brother to death, and the father his child. Children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death. You will be hated by all men for my name’s sake, but he who endures to the end will be saved. But when they persecute you in this city, flee into the next, for most certainly I tell you, you will not have gone through the cities of Israel until the Son of Man has come.

Matthew 10:16-23

We are like sheep among wolves, wise as serpents but harmless as doves. Jesus warned us of persecution, which we might have to flee, but at the same time told us not to be anxious about it. The Holy Spirit is the one who speaks through us. Father, may I always be a person of peace, regardless of the response. Help me to always return good even if people who don't know You show evil. May I always pray for those who are against me, and not be vindictive. Help me to see them through Your eyes, and be a good ambassador for Christ.

I feel like I'm not doing a very good job of sharing Your Gospel, but I know that that is also Your calling on our lives. Open my eyes to see the opportunities to sow, nurture and reap, and to take action.

In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment