Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Monday, February 17, 2020

God's faithfulness in spite of our unfaithfulness

Genesis 31

Laban had teraphim, which apparently refers to household idols. Some contend that possession of these idols guaranteed the right of inheritance, but others think they were just considered to be protective deities. In any case, it is clear that both Laban and Rachel believed in them to some extent, and so their worship of YHWH was imperfect.Yet, YHWH seemed to acknowledge their faith.

By this point in the story, YHWH had taken Jacob a long way in his faith. He no longer tried to cheat, but just tried to protect himself and his family. He did know about Rachel’s theft of the teraphim, and could honestly tell Laban he had not cheated him, in spite of Laban attempting to cheat him many times. So YHWH spoke to Laban to tell him not to harm Jacob.

Father, thank You that even if we’re faithless, You remain faithful. (2 Timothy 2:13) Thank You that You saved me even when I was Your enemy. And You began a good work in me and will complete it. (Philppians 1:6) In Jesus’ name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment