Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

When what is good becomes bad

Matthew 6
“Be careful that you don’t do your charitable giving before men, to be seen by them, or else you have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.

“When you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Most certainly, I tell you, they have received their reward.

“Moreover when you fast, don’t be like the hypocrites, with sad faces. For they disfigure their faces, that they may be seen by men to be fasting. Most certainly I tell you, they have received their reward.

Matthew 6:1‭, ‬5‭, ‬16

When we have people around us who think highly of spiritual disciplines, there is a big danger that performing our spiritual disciplines become a source of pride, which then pushes us away from God, instead of what God intends -- for the spiritual discipline to draw us closer to Him.

I like it when people think highly of me. That has its own place, but when I start doing stuff to show off, rather than for their original intention, the good becomes twisted to bad.

Therefore I must be careful, or my efforts will be wasted in the eternal sense, and even have a negative spiritual impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment