Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Nimrod

Genesis 10
Cush became the father of Nimrod. He began to be a mighty one in the earth. He was a mighty hunter before Yahweh. Therefore it is said, “like Nimrod, a mighty hunter before Yahweh”. The beginning of his kingdom was Babel, Erech, Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar. Out of that land he went into Assyria, and built Nineveh, Rehoboth Ir, Calah, and Resen between Nineveh and the great city Calah.

Genesis 10:8‭-‬12

This is all that Genesis says about Nimrod, but some people think he was the ringleader of the Tower of Babel rebellion.

Other than Genesis, 1 Chronicles 1:10 also mentions that Cush was the father of Nimrod, and Micah 5:6 mentions that Assyria is the land of Nimrod.

So there's not much to go on in the Bible, so why do people think he was the ringleader of the Tower of Babel rebellion? From what I can tell, this idea comes from the Jewish Talmud. The Talmud is rabbinic Jewish commentary on the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment