Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Study on 2 Thessalonians 3

There will be people who oppose the Gospel, but God is faithful and will strengthen and protect us.

Each of us is supposed to earn our own keep and not mooch off others. (Other passages, however, make it clear that this doesn’t preclude helping those who are unable to earn their own keep, for example, old widows.)

If someone is like that, we’re not to encourage them. But, we should admonish him as a brother, and not treat him as an enemy.

I particularly like the way Eugene Peterson translated this: "If anyone refuses to obey our clear command written in this letter, don’t let him get by with it. Point out such a person and refuse to subsidize his freeloading. Maybe then he’ll think twice. But don’t treat him as an enemy. Sit him down and talk about the problem as someone who cares." 2 Thessalonians 3:14‭-‬15 MSG

No comments:

Post a Comment