Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Study on 2 Thessalonians 2

Who is this man of lawlessness?

I did some Googling about this passage and came across this:
Augustine, perhaps the greatest of the early church fathers and still a great influence today, writes regarding a certain portion of the passage: “I confess that I am entirely ignorant of what he means to say.” New Testament Greek scholar Marvin Vincent omits interpreting the passage in his four volume lexical commentary: “I attempt no interpretation of this passage as a whole, which I do not understand.” Renowned Greek linguist A. T. Robertson despairs of the task of interpreting this passage because it is “in such vague form that we can hardly clear it up.”                      
So, not surprising we are having problems understanding it, when such great theologians through the ages had problems 🤣     

Who the Man of Lawlessness is thought to be seems to depend on the interpreter's eschatology: Premillennials and Dispensationalists usually say it's the Antichrist.

Postmillennials say it's Nero.                      

Amillennials I've read seem to avoid this part of the passage altogether.

But never mind. What we are supposed to do is stated in verse 15: "stand firm and hold on to the traditions that we taught you, whether by speech or by letter."

No comments:

Post a Comment