Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Truth telling

Exodus 5
Afterward Moses and Aaron came, and said to Pharaoh, “This is what Yahweh, the God of Israel, says, ‘Let my people go, that they may hold a feast to me in the wilderness.’”
Exodus 5:1

Were Moses and Aaron lying about going to hold a feast in the wilderness? If so, did God sanction their lie?

Or did they really plan to just go hold a feast and come back if Pharaoh had given permission? But God knowing Pharaoh's heart, could let them say to honestly, and knew Pharaoh would refuse, and thus eventually give them the opportunity to escape their slavery?

Different Christians have come to different conclusions about this kind of thing.

This is illustrated in how some Christians responded to the Nazis. When you're a Christian hiding Jews, and the Nazis come looking, do you lie? Most lied and saved the Jews. A few told the truth, and most of those and their Jews were killed. But a very few didn't lie but God saved them in some other way.

But the general principle is “let your 'Yes' be 'Yes' and your 'No' be 'No.' ” Matthew 5:37

In general, we should be a people of truth, eschewing lying.

Father, help me to stay truthful and not lie. Sometimes in the spur of the moment I'm tempted to lie, remind me of Your call to truth. In Jesus’ name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment