Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Friday, March 6, 2020

Take up the cross

Matthew 16

From that time, Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things from the elders, chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and the third day be raised up.  Peter took him aside, and began to rebuke him, saying, “Far be it from you, Lord! This will never be done to you.”  But he turned, and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me, for you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of men.”
Matthew 16:21‭-‬23

Sometimes, it is the will of God for us to go though tough times. He may have some higher purpose that's not apparent to us.
Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If anyone desires to come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.  For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, and whoever will lose his life for my sake will find it.  For what will it profit a man, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his life? Or what will a man give in exchange for his life?  For the Son of Man will come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and then he will render to everyone according to his deeds.
Matthew 16:24‭-‬27

While we might not be called to  suffer persecution for the sake of Christ every day, we are still called to deny ourselves daily and take up his cross.

What does that mean? I think that at least in part, it means every day making the choice to follow what God says and not our own desires. Daily spiritual disciplines like prayer and reading the Bible is probably part of this.

And it is logical and reasonable to do this, given what we know. "For what will it profit a man, if he gains the  whole world, and forfeits his life?" And Jesus is giving us eternal life.

Father, as I feel tempted to do things my way or the world's way, remind me of this so that I may choose instead to do things your way. May I keep daily meditating on your word so that I may keep drawing closer and closer to you. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment