Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Study on John 18

Earlier, at the Last Supper, Jesus had told the disciples, (Luke 22:35-38)
Then Jesus said to them, “When I sent you out with no money bag, or traveler’s bag, or sandals, you didn’t lack anything, did you?” They replied, “Nothing.” He said to them, “But now, the one who has a money bag must take it, and likewise a traveler’s bag too. And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one. For I tell you that this scripture must be fulfilled in me, ‘And he was counted with the transgressors.’ For what is written about me is being fulfilled.” So they said, “Look, Lord, here are two swords.” Then he told them, “It is enough.”

It should have been obvious that Jesus didn’t mean it literally, for how could 2 swords be enough for so many people?

But our impulsive man of action, Simon Peter, who had told Jesus, "Even if they all fall away, I will not!" (Mark 14:29) now sprung up with his sword to defend Jesus, and cut off Malchus’ ear.

But that was *not* Jesus’ purpose. If Jesus had been the political Messiah so many had yearned for, and which Judas had tried to force his hand for, He would not have told Peter, “Put your sword back into its sheath! Am I not to drink the cup that the Father has given me?” (and healed Malchus’ ear, as Luke 22:51 records.)

So often, I feel like I need to take action to fulfil God’s purpose. But sometimes my actions are not as per God’s plan. At other times, we are supposed to take action. What if we make a mistake? Well, as we saw here, God’s still in control. His purpose will be fulfilled.

Peter in fact makes a worse mistake later -- denying Jesus 3 times. But that was still not the end of Peter. Because he repented, God restored him and he went on to become the leader of the Christians after Jesus’ ascension.

Contrast that with Judas’ mistake. He ended up committing suicide instead of repenting.

Making mistakes or sin even against Jesus directly isn’t a dead end -- it only becomes a dead end if you don’t repent.

So, when we sin, we must repent. Jesus already paid the price - let’s not stay down, repent and get back up and get back to following Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment