Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Pride comes before fall

12/9/11 Daniel 3-4; Psalm 81; Revelation 17

S: Daniel 4: 27-34 ‘King Nebuchadnezzar, please accept my advice. Stop sinning and do what is right. Break from your wicked past and be merciful to the poor. Perhaps then you will continue to prosper.’ But all these things did happen to King Nebuchadnezzar. Twelve months later he was taking a walk on the flat roof of the royal palace in Babylon. As he looked out across the city, he said, ‘Look at this great city of Babylon! By my own mighty power, I have built this beautiful city as my royal residence to display my majestic splendour.’ While these words were still in his mouth, a voice called down from heaven, ‘O King Nebuchadnezzar, this message is for you! You are no longer ruler of this kingdom. You will be driven from human society. You will live in the fields with the wild animals, and you will eat grass like a cow. Seven periods of time will pass while you live this way, until you learn that the Most High rules over the kingdoms of the world and gives them to anyone he chooses.’ That same hour the judgement was fulfilled, and Nebuchadnezzar was driven from human society. He ate grass like a cow, and he was drenched with the dew of heaven. He lived this way until his hair was as long as eagles’ feathers and his nails were like birds’ claws. After this time had passed, I, Nebuchadnezzar, looked up to heaven. My sanity returned, and I praised and worshipped the Most High and honoured the one who lives forever. His rule is everlasting, and his kingdom is eternal.

O: Again, we see that God views pride as a serious problem. Earlier this month, we saw the lesson taught with the Prince of Tyre, and today we see it taught with King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon.

Fortunately for King Nebuchadnezzar, he did repent and acknowledge God, and so he was restored.

A: As noted earlier, when we achieve success, we must guard against pride. As Proverbs 16:18 says, "Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before a fall."

P: Dear Lord, You clearly taught this lesson multiple times. May I remember it when I'm tempted by pride. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment