Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Enemy Mine

27/9/11 Haggai 1-2; Psalm 129; Luke 10

S: Luke 10:27-29 The man answered, “‘You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.’ And, ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’” “Right!” Jesus told him. “Do this and you will live!” The man wanted to justify his actions, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbour?”

Jesus then went on to tell the Parable of the Good Samaritan.

O: To the Jews of Jesus' time, the Samaritans were like Islamic terrorists to the Jews of today's Israel, like the Liberal Democrats to the Tea Party Christians of today's USA, like corrupt Barisan Nasional crony politicians to pro-democracy Malaysians.

Yet, Jesus told the Parable of the Good Samaritan in response to the Expert of Jewish Religious Law's question "Who is my neighbour?" when Jesus reminded him that he wasn't following the Biblical injunction to "Love your neighbour as yourself."

In fact, in Matthew 5:44, Jesus puts it even more forcefully: "Love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you!"

A: All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. (Romans 3:23) Yet, while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8)

I have been frequently disgusted at the misdeeds of Barisan Nasional crony politicians, so it's actually quite hard for me to love them, but that's what Christ calls us to. And then there're the people one runs across in daily life who annoy us, or victimise us, etc. Sometimes they're even harder to love, and since we have personal contact with them, it's even more evident when we don't. But that's what Christ calls us to.

Easier said than done, yep. In fact, humanly speaking, it's impossible. But the fruit of the Spirit includes love, and as we walk with Christ, it grows.

P: Father, please keep growing Your love in me, so that I may be able to overflow with your love to my neighbours! In Jesus' name, amen.


Note: this is using the SOAP method. For more information, see this page (not written by me.)
By the way, the title of this post is taken from an excellent Science Fiction story by Barry Longyear.

No comments:

Post a Comment