Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Repentance is possible... and vice versa

15/8/11 Jeremiah 18-20; Psalm 93; John 17

S: Jeremiah 18:7-10 If I announce that a certain nation or kingdom is to be uprooted, torn down, and destroyed, but then that nation renounces its evil ways, I will not destroy it as I had planned. And if I announce that I will plant and build up a certain nation or kingdom, but then that nation turns to evil and refuses to obey me, I will not bless it as I said I would.

O: The LORD revealed this word to Jeremiah in the last days of the kingdom of Judah. God had centuries earlier promised to bless the House of David and to let Israel have a king from the House of David forever. This promise was about to be broken, not because God wanted to break it, but because the House of David and the children of Israel were unfaithful to the LORD.

(Well, it will not be ultimately broken because Yeshua, the Son of David, will come and assume the throne for eternity. But in a temporal sense, it will be broken.)

A: This passage is both hopeful and scary. God's curses can be removed if you repent, and God's blessings can be removed if you stop following Him.

So if you've strayed from God, repent! But let us be careful lest we fall! (1 Corinthians 9:27) I need to remember this when I'm tempted! Not that giving in to one temptation will cause God's blessings to flee from me forever, but if I persist in sin, it will.

P: Father, help me to remember this truth when I am tempted. But if I do fall, help me to quickly repent and get back on the right track. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment