Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Friday, August 5, 2011

No fear of death

4/8/11 2 Kings 22; 2 Chronicles 34; John 6

S: 2 Kings 22:14-20
So Hilkiah the priest, Ahikam, Acbor, Shaphan, and Asaiah went to the New Quartert of Jerusalem to consult with the prophet Huldah. She was the wife of Shallum son of Tikvah, son of Harhas, the keeper of the Temple wardrobe.

She said to them, “The Lord, the God of Israel, has spoken! Go back and tell the man who sent you, ‘This is what the Lord says: I am going to bring disaster on this cityt and its people. All the words written in the scroll that the king of Judah has read will come true. For my people have abandoned me and offered sacrifices to pagan gods, and I am very angry with them for everything they have done. My anger will burn against this place, and it will not be quenched.’

“But go to the king of Judah who sent you to seek the Lord and tell him: ‘This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says concerning the message you have just heard: You were sorry and humbled yourself before the Lord when you heard what I said against this city and its people—that this land would be cursed and become desolate. You tore your clothing in despair and wept before me in repentance. And I have indeed heard you, says the Lord.

So I will not send the promised disaster until after you have died and been buried in peace. You will not see the disaster I am going to bring on this city.’”
So they took her message back to the king.

O: I wonder if this could be at least part of the reason why God allowed Josiah to attack Pharaoh Neco and be killed. (See the next chapter.)

In the history of Judah, good kings always lived long, while bad kings died young. But Josiah was an exception. He was a good king, yet God allowed him to be defeated and killed in battle.

But perhaps the reason is because of this -- that he would die and be properly buried in honour? Anyway, "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord" for believers (2 Corinthians 5:8) so Josiah may have died on earth but he would live on in Abraham's bosom.

John Stott just passed away on 27 July 2011. The church mourned the passing of this great theologian, but although it is a loss for us, it's no loss for him -- he's enjoying Himself with the Lord in heaven now!

A: Death should not be a terror for the believer. Sure, the process of dying might be painful and unpleasant, but death itself is just a door to Eternity with God.

P:
Thank You Lord, for saving my soul!
Thank You Lord, for making me whole.
Thank You Lord, for giving to me
Thy great salvation so rich and free!

No comments:

Post a Comment