Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Monday, August 29, 2011

Healingly hot, refreshingly cold.

29/8/11 Ezekiel 4-7; Revelation 3

S: Revelation 3:15-21 15 I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth! You say, ‘I am rich. I have everything I want. I don’t need a thing!’ And you don’t realise that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked. o I advise you to buy gold from me—gold that has been purified by fire. Then you will be rich. Also buy white garments from me so you will not be shamed by your nakedness, and ointment for your eyes so you will be able to see. I correct and discipline everyone I love. So be diligent and turn from your indifference.

Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends. Those who are victorious will sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat with my Father on his throne.

O: The Spirit of God gave John messages for the seven churches of Asia. The Church of Laodicea had grown lukewarm over the years -- they thought they were still spiritually rich, but in actual fact, they were spiritually impoverished.

The imagery here being used is based on the water supply of the city -- Laodicea's water is from the confluence of the healing hot springs of Hierapolis and the cold fresh springs of Colossae. The resultant water was drinkable but quite disgusting, hence the imagery of spitting it out of the mouth.

A: We often use verse 20 as an evangelistic verse to share the Gospel with non-Christians, but in context it is actually addressed to Christians! How terrible it is that Jesus is standing outside the door of the Christians' life! Let us quickly repent and invite Him back in!

We must not be lukewarm -- I find this a danger in my own life as I go through the daily grind of life. We need to be always hot for God, like delicious hot food that satisfies, or refreshing like a cold drink on a hot day.

P: Father, keep me refreshingly cold and healingly hot. May I not drift into moribund lukewarmness. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment