Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Monday, October 10, 2011

Leaders who Serve

9/10/11 Nehemiah 1-2; Psalm 133; Luke 22

S: Luke 22:24-26 Then they began to argue among themselves about who would be the greatest among them. Jesus told them, “In this world the kings and great men lord it over their people, yet they are called ‘friends of the people.’ But among you it will be different. Those who are the greatest among you should take the lowest rank, and the leader should be like a servant.”

O: Throughout history, religious and political leaders have almost always lorded it over the people they were in charge of. For my entertainment reading lately, I've been reading the science fiction novel 1633, set during the terrible Thirty Years War. One of the characters in it was Cardinal Richelieu. While one can dispute whether the characterisation of him in the novel was historically accurate or not, certainly he and other religious leaders did indeed lord it over the French peasantry.

But Jesus calls us to a different kind of leadership.

A: At various times in our lives, we may find ourselves in positions of authority over others. I have authority over my students, for example. But I must be motivated by service rather than usage of power.

P: Father, please keep me humble and lead the people under my authority in a Christ-like manner. In Jesus' name, amen.


Note: this is using the SOAP method. For more information, see this page (not written by me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment