Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Thursday, June 25, 2020

Women in ministry

I commend to you Phoebe, our sister, who is a servant of the assembly that is at Cenchreae, that you receive her in the Lord, in a way worthy of the saints, and that you assist her in whatever matter she may need from you, for she herself also has been a helper of many, and of my own self. 
...
Greet Andronicus and Junia, my relatives and my fellow prisoners, who are notable among the apostles, who were also in Christ before me.
Romans 16:1‭-‬2‭, ‬7

The word "servant" in verse 1 is "deacon". The female name "Junia" was changed to the male name "Junias" in some old translations because the grammar in koine Greek is ambiguous and in sexist ideology apostles (people chosen by God to be sent, not necessarily the original 12 apostles) had to be male.

Controversy aside, the Bible does make it clear that God uses women to lead His work. Many women are listed, in spite of the sexist times they lived in: Deborah, Priscilla, Dorcas, etc.

And today, many women are used by God to lead His people.

Father, thank You that You do not discriminate and You can use anyone who is yielded to You for Your glory. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment