Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Monday, May 11, 2020

Missing the forest for the trees

Exodus 35

‘Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be a holy day for you, a Sabbath of solemn rest to Yahweh: whoever does any work in it shall be put to death. You shall kindle no fire throughout your habitations on the Sabbath day.’”
Exodus 35:2‭-‬3

God gave humans the Sabbath to make sure that people rest one day a week, for, as Jesus said, “The Sabbath was made for people, and not people for the Sabbath.” (Mark 2:27)

However, they've been debates over the centuries, if you're cold or can't see, can you light a fire? Can you turn on a light switch? Can you start your car?

These days, making a fire is a simple matter of striking a match, or turning on our stove. But during Moses’ time, it was a labourus process of gathering wood and kindling, rubbing dry sticks together for a long time while blowing, etc.

These debates point out that people often lose sight of God’s principles when arguing about details - missing the forest for the trees.

Father, if I miss the forest for the trees, remind me of Your principles. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment