Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Thy word is thy bond

13/2/12 Matthew 5:25-37 

S: Matthew 5:33-37 Again, you have heard that it was said to the ancients: "You shall not swear falsely. For you shall repay your oaths to the Lord." But I say to you, do not swear an oath at all, neither by heaven, for it is the throne of God,nor by earth, for it is his footstool, nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great king.Neither shall you swear an oath by your own head, because you are not able to cause one hair to become white or black.But let your word "Yes" mean "Yes," and "No" mean "No." For anything beyond that is of evil. 

O: Throughout history, we have seen people use oaths to declare when they are really speaking the truth and not lying. Jesus, however, holds us to a higher standard: your word should be your bond. 

A: When I have time to think about it, I will tell the truth. But there have been many times that I tell a "little white lie" at the spur of the moment. I usually regret it later (sometimes moments later), then am too embarrassed to admit it. This is an area of further growth for me. 

P: Father, help me to always tell the truth. In Jesus' name, amen.

Note: this is using the SOAP method. For more information, see this page (not written by me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment