Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Sinners, yet keep His commandments

11/2/11 1 John 2:1-17

S: 1 John 2:1-6 My little sons, this I write to you, so that you may not sin. But if anyone has sinned, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ, the Just One. And he is the propitiation for our sins. And not only for our sins, but also for those of the whole world. And we can be sure that we have known him by this: if we observe his commandments. Whoever claims that he knows him, and yet does not keep his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoever keeps his word, truly in him the charity of God is perfected. And by this we know that we are in him. Whoever declares himself to remain in him, ought to walk just as he himself walked.

O: John says "Whoever claims that he knows him, and yet does not keep his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoever keeps his word, truly in him the charity of God is perfected." But right before that, he said, "My little sons, this I write to you, so that you may not sin. But if anyone has sinned, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ, the Just One. And he is the propitiation for our sins. And not only for our sins, but also for those of the whole world."

We often struggle with the fact that we do still have the sin nature and we sin. However, we also have the new birth and we are supposed to be perfect. How do we balance the two?

A: This passage gives a glimpse of the balance. We cannot be blasé about sin and just keep sinning and ask for forgiveness. Yet at the same time, we are not yet perfected, so we still do sin. So our attitude is to not sin, but when we do sin, we have an Advocate we can go to.

P: Father, time and time again I find I have given in to temptation. Thank You that You have provided an Advocate. At the same time, I also know You and do not want to sin any longer. I want to keep your commandments. In Jesus' name, amen.
Note: this is using the SOAP method. For more information, see this page (not written by me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment