Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Rights

11/11/11 Psalm 122; 1 Corinthians 9-11

S: 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 Even though I am a free man with no master, I have become a slave to all people to bring many to Christ. When I was with the Jews, I lived like a Jew to bring the Jews to Christ. When I was with those who follow the Jewish law, I too lived under that law. Even though I am not subject to the law, I did this so I could bring to Christ those who are under the law. When I am with the Gentiles who do not follow the Jewish law, I too live apart from that law so I can bring them to Christ. But I do not ignore the law of God; I obey the law of Christ. When I am with those who are weak, I share their weakness, for I want to bring the weak to Christ. Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some. I do everything to spread the Good News and share in its blessings.

O: There is an appropriate time and place to stand up for one's rights. However, we should not be motivated primarily by protecting our rights, but rather, by what is best for the furtherance of the Gospel.

As believers, we certainly have the right to eat pork or whatever, but Paul was willing to give up that right when he was with Jews so as to not put unnecessary stumbling blocks before them to the Gospel.

A: As we meet people who are different from us, we need to present the Gospel in a culturally-sensitive manner.

P: Father, help us to discern what is really the Gospel and what is just our own cultural baggage, and when we need to give up our rights in order to help others see Jesus. In Jesus' name, amen.
Note: this is using the SOAP method. For more information, see this page (not written by me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment