Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Monday, November 28, 2011

The Great Discipleship Commission

28/11/11 Matthew 28; 1 Thessalonians 1-3

S: Matthew 28:18-20 Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

O: This is passage is usually called "The Great Commission" -- Jesus commissions His disciples to go and make disciples of all the nations.

Among Evangelical Christians, we usually use this verse to emphasise evangelism.

Evangelism is definitely part of the Great Commission, but if we look at the the verses again, we can see that Jesus is actually emphasising discipleship. It is not enough for people to "pray to receive Christ" -- we need to teach people to become disciples of Christ -- to obey and follow Christ.

Many people come forward during Gospel rallies and pray to receive Christ, but not all of them will actually become disciples of Christ and live for Him after that.

So we must follow through with what Jesus said, to teach the new disciples to obey all His commands.

A: Each of us must daily read the Word of God and apply it to our lives, and we are to teach those who come after us the same.

P: Father, help me to be faithful to Your Great Commission! In Jesus' name, amen.
Note: this is using the SOAP method. For more information, see this page (not written by me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment