Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Pass it on

15/6/13

S: Deuteronomy 11:1-3 You must love the Lord your God and obey all his requirements, decrees, regulations, and commands. Keep in mind that I am not talking now to your children, who have never experienced the discipline of the Lord your God or seen his greatness and his strong hand and powerful arm. They didn’t see the miraculous signs and wonders he performed in Egypt against Pharaoh and all his land.

Deuteronomy 11:18-21 So commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these words of mine. Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders. Teach them to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up. Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates, so that as long as the sky remains above the earth, you and your children may flourish in the land the Lord swore to give your ancestors.

Man wearing tefilin O: Tomorrow is Father's Day, and this passage reminds me of the responsibility I have as a father to pass the faith on to my children. In the 34 years since I received Jesus as my Saviour, I have seen His faithfulness many times. My children are still in Kindergarten, and they have not yet seen so much about of what He has done.

MezuzahOrthodox Jews took some of these injunctions literally, wearing small boxes containing Deuteronomy 6:4-9 (tefilin) strapped to their foreheads and arms, and putting decorative cases containing Deuteronomy 6:4-9, 11:13-21 (mezuzah) on their doorposts and gates.

A: As Christians, we don't have to wear tefilin and put up mezuzah, but God's principles should guide our daily lives, and we must teach our children God's principles and the great things He has done in the past, to build their faith.

P: Father, I lift up my children Joni and Hannah to You. Lead and guide me as I teach them about You, that they may grow up to be women of God. In Jesus name, amen.

Note: this is using the SOAP method. For more information, see this page (not written by me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment