Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Saturday, January 12, 2013

We're chosen by God, but we must still beware of sin

12/1/13

S: Genesis 12:1-3 The Lord had said to Abram, "Leave your country and your people. Leave your father's family. Go to the land I will show you. I will make you into a great nation. I will bless you. I will make your name great. You will be a blessing to others. I will bless those who bless you. I will put a curse on anyone who calls down a curse on you. All nations on earth will be blessed because of you."

Genesis 12:10-20 At that time there wasn't enough food in the land. So Abram went down to Egypt to live there for a while. As he was about to enter Egypt, he spoke to his wife Sarai. He said, "I know what a beautiful woman you are. The people of Egypt will see you. They will say, 'This is his wife.' And they will kill me. But they will let you live. Say you are my sister. Then I'll be treated well because of you. My life will be spared because of you." Abram arrived in Egypt. The people of Egypt saw that Sarai was a very beautiful woman. When Pharaoh's officials saw her, they bragged to Pharaoh about her. Sarai was taken into his palace. Pharaoh treated Abram well because of her. So Abram gained more sheep and cattle. He also got more male and female donkeys. And he gained more male and female servants and some camels. But the Lord sent terrible sicknesses on Pharaoh and everyone in his palace. He did it because of Abram's wife Sarai. So Pharaoh sent for Abram. "What have you done to me?" he said. "Why didn't you tell me she was your wife? Why did you say, 'She's my sister'? That's why I took her to be my wife. Now then, here's your wife. Take her and go!" Then Pharaoh gave orders about Abram to his men. They sent him on his way. He left with his wife and everything he had.

O: There is no question that God had chosen and affirmed Abram, as we saw in Genesis 12:1-3. But nonetheless, in Genesis 12:10-20, we see Abram exhibit a lack of faith in God's protection, causing him to use Satan's methods of lying to try to protect himself. Not only that, Genesis 20 sees the now renamed Abraham committing the exact same sin again! And we see his son Isaac commit exactly the same sin in the next generation (Genesis 26).

A: "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" as the Americans say. We are a Chosen Generation, a Royal Priesthood, a Holy Nation, a Special People who have been called out of darkness into light (1 Peter 2:9) but yet, we need to be careful as Satan is like a roaring lion seeking whom he might devour (1 Peter 5:8).

P: Dear Father, not only do I need to watch out for the explicit sins but also I need to watch out for the "slide into it" sins. Please help me to be vigilant at all times. In Jesus' name, amen.
Note: this is using the SOAP method. For more information, see this page (not written by me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment