Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Saturday, July 7, 2012

It's OK to feel down sometimes

7/7/12

S: Psalm 119:81-88 I am worn out waiting for your rescue, but I have put my hope in your word. My eyes are straining to see your promises come true. When will you comfort me? I am shriveled like a wineskin in the smoke, but I have not forgotten to obey your decrees. How long must I wait? When will you punish those who persecute me? These arrogant people who hate your instructions have dug deep pits to trap me. All your commands are trustworthy. Protect me from those who hunt me down without cause. They almost finished me off, but I refused to abandon your commandments. In your unfailing love, spare my life; then I can continue to obey your laws.

O: Among some Christian circles, people are told that it is unspiritual to ever have "problems" or to feel down. The Psalms give ample evidence that this is not Biblical.

The psalmist was certainly feeling down. He didn't let it drive him away from God, however -- he ran to God instead. He kept the faith, and asked God to protect him.

It is true that since I have come to know Jesus, I have changed from being a mostly introverted and depressed person to becoming a mostly happy and outgoing person. However, this deep joy doesn't mean that you never feel down, and we should not condemn people for feeling down. Feeling down in itself is not a sin.

A: When you feel down, run to our Father in Heaven!

P: Father, thank You that You are our comfort and our salvation. In Jesus' name, amen.
Note: this is using the SOAP method. For more information, see this page (not written by me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment