Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Pass it on

3/3/12

S: Deuteronomy 11:18-21 Place these words of mine in your hearts and minds, and hang them as a sign on your hands, and arrange them between your eyes. Teach your sons to meditate on them, when you sit in your house, and when you walk along the way, and when you lie down or rise up. You shall write them upon the doorposts and the gates of your house, so that your days may be multiplied, and the days of your sons, in the land which the Lord swore to your fathers, that he would give it to them for as long as heaven is suspended above the earth.

O: The Orthodox Jews took this literally and wear phylacteries -- small boxes containing scripture verses -- on their hands and foreheads. But in context, the point of this is that we must remind ourselves and our children of what God has revealed to us.

A: We should study the scriptures ourselves regularly and teach it to our children. We can know something but it falls to the back of our minds and we don't do it. By reminding ourselves and our children regularly, it will influence our actions. If my children become highly educated and greatly successful in their careers, but abandon God, then I have failed as a parent.

P: Father, help me to regularly study Your Word and guide me as I teach your Gospel to my children. In Jesus' name, amen.

Note: this is using the SOAP method. For more information, see this page (not written by me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment