Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Friday, December 14, 2018

The Time Is Now

Another of the disciples said to him, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.” But Jesus said to him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.” Matthew 8:21‭-‬22

At first glance, it seems as if Jesus is saying he should leave his father's dead body and not bother to have the funeral.

However, all the Bible scholars I've read talking about this passage say that this is not a case of the father has died and his body is waiting to be buried.

This is a case of the guy giving excuses that he wants to wait until his father has died before he comes to follow Jesus.

We hear similar excuses today. "I'll serve God when I retire." "I'll get baptized after my parents have passed away." etc.

The time to follow Jesus is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment