Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Friday, January 19, 2018

I could be wrong

19/1/2018

S: John 5:1-18

O: The man who had been disabled for 38 years lying by the pool of Bethesda had a fixed idea about how he could be healed. But Jesus came and healed him a different way.

The Jewish leaders had their own ideas about what was Godly or ungodly, and Jesus' healing on the Sabbath didn't fit their ideas, so they sought to kill him.

A: I have many convictions about right and wrong and what's Biblical and not Biblical and what's spiritually correct and what's not spiritually correct, from many years of being a Christian, listening to Christian teaching, and reading the Bible for myself.

And yet... those Jewish leaders also had something similar. Yet they were so wrong about Jesus. And even the man who couldn't walk had his own ideas that Jesus broke.

I recognize the danger of not holding convictions. That's the way of heresy, and going off into spurious unbiblical beliefs. But there is also the other side of being too sure of your own interpretations and not being open to correction.

It's a fine line to walk, and we need to be walking with Christ and to be guided by the Holy Spirit in a community that is likewise walking with Christ and guided by the Holy Spirit. And none of us are perfect, and we make mistakes.

P: Father, help me be humble even in my firm convictions in Your doctrines, and be open to Your correction. In Jesus' name, amen.


Note: this is using the SOAP method. For more information, see this page (not written by me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment