Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Saturday, February 14, 2015

You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar

14/2/15

S: Romans 14:13-15 Therefore we must not pass judgment on one another, but rather determine never to place an obstacle or a trap before a brother or sister. I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that there is nothing unclean in itself; still, it is unclean to the one who considers it unclean. For if your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. Do not destroy by your food someone for whom Christ died.

O: I sometimes get annoyed with people who assert things which I know to be false. Sometimes I feel like deliberately doing something to provoke them on the area of dispute.

A: While there is a place for persuading people to change their minds about their wrong beliefs (e.g. Paul himself in Galatians 2-3 tries to persuade people who believe in all these clean/unclean practices to change their minds), we must speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15).

Speaking the truth without love is a good way to drive people away from the truth. "A gentle response turns away anger, but a harsh word stirs up wrath." Proverbs 15:1

Jesus calls us to value the other person. We should persuade them to the truth because of love, for their own benefit, not for our own self-aggrandizement.

Ultimately, there is no point winning an argument when you've lost the person.

P: Father, when I find myself in a disagreement with someone, help me to remember that the other person is someone Jesus has died for. Help me to love them like Jesus loves them. In Jesus' name, amen.

Note: this is using the SOAP method. For more information, see this page (not written by me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment