Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Is God on our side or are we on God's side?

13/7/13

S: Joshua 5:13-14 When Joshua was near the town of Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with sword in hand. Joshua went up to him and demanded, “Are you friend or foe?” “Neither one,” he replied. “I am the commander of the Lord’s army. ”At this, Joshua fell with his face to the ground in reverence. “I am at your command,” Joshua said. “What do you want your servant to do?”

O: Often, we asked God to bless our plans. We ask the Lord to fight on our side. However, the point is not, "Is God on our side?" but rather, "Are we on God's side?".

Who is on the Lord's side? Who will serve the King?
Who will be His helpers, other lives to bring?
Who will leave the world's side? Who will face the foe?
Who is on the Lord's side? Who for Him will go?
By Thy call of mercy, by Thy grace divine,
We are on the Lord's side—Savior, we are Thine!

"Unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain. Unless the LORDwatches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain." (Psalm 127:1)

A: We need to know God's Word well, and check our plans against them. "When people do not accept divine guidance, they run wild. But whoever obeys the law is joyful." (Proverbs 29:18). [By the way, this verse is often misapplied from the King James Version, "Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he." The word "vision" here is actually revelation from God, i.e. the Word of God, and not about having a vision/purpose. The second part of the verse makes it clear that this is what it's talking about, even in the KJV -- keeping the law, i.e. following God's instructions.]

This is another reason why remembering what God says is so important. "How can a young person stay pure? By obeying your word. I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path." Psalm 119:9, 11, 105.

P: Father, when I make my plans, when temptations come, when I have to make a decision, please remind me of what You have already revealed in Your Word. In Jesus' name, amen.
Note: this is using the SOAP method. For more information, see this page (not written by me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment