Daddy blog

I started this blog when I was following the Life Journal Bible reading plan on YouVersion. (I've since completed that plan.) At that time, YouVersion didn't provide any way for people to respond to my notes, other than to "like" them. So this blog is here to remedy that problem. You may comment on my notes here in the comment section.
I also have a general blog.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Big Picture

25/8/12

S: Matthew 16:21-28 From then on Jesus began to tell his disciples plainly that it was necessary for him to go to Jerusalem, and that he would suffer many terrible things at the hands of the elders, the leading priests, and the teachers of religious law. He would be killed, but on the third day he would be raised from the dead. But Peter took him aside and began to reprimand him for saying such things. “Heaven forbid, Lord,” he said. “This will never happen to you!” Jesus turned to Peter and said, “Get away from me, Satan! You are a dangerous trap to me. You are seeing things merely from a human point of view, not from God’s.” Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me.2 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul? For the Son of Man will come with his angels in the glory of his Father and will judge all people according to their deeds. And I tell you the truth, some standing here right now will not die before they see the Son of Man coming in his Kingdom.”

O: God sees the big picture, while we don't. It didn't make sense to Peter for God to allow Jesus to be killed. After all, wasn't He the Messiah God sent to save the Jews? Surely the Son of David would throw out the Romans and restore the Davidic Kingdom?

But God's plans were bigger than that. He wasn't just interested in political salvation for the Jews -- He was interested in eternal salvation for all peoples!

A: Sometimes as we are trying to serve God, things seem to go wrong. But we need to recognise that we don't know the big picture, and keep trusting Him.

P: Father, to keep on trusting You in adverse circumstances is difficult. When I'm faced with such a situation, remind me that You are in control! In Jesus' name, amen.

Note: this is using the SOAP method. For more information, see this page (not written by me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment